I sumbitted a similar patch to the Quanta team about a week ago. It may
appear in an upcoming release, possibly Quanta 3, which will come with KDE
3.0.

A few other additions I made:

- highlighting is now case-insensitive for everything. I believe older
versions were case-sensitive for keywords, like function, class, etc.

- support for ASP-style opening and closing tags (<% and %> instead of
<?php, <?, etc.)

I'm also working on porting a newer editor from Kate/ktexteditor into
Quanta. It's been slow going, but things have picked up (it compiles and
runs now, albeit with a bunch of segfaults). This will make adding syntax
highlighting instructions much easier, as the latest versions of Kate allow
you to define highlighting rules in XML files, and the highlighting
instructions are set up at run-time rather than compile time.

Maybe over the XMas break I'll be able to finish it up.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=495239&group_id=4113&atid=304113