hi michael,

 to create the directory and file, you'll need to run the terminal
application. from there, type

 sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib

to create the necessary directory. you should get prompted for a password.
type your own password. you need to do this from an administrator account.
the first account created during the install process is an administrator
account.

 are you sure you don't have a copy of php.ini on your system? try

 locate php.ini

from the terminal window. if there is one, you can copy it to the
/usr/local/lib directory.

 sudo cp php.ini /usr/local/lib/

if you don't have one, you can download the distribution from php.net and
copy php.ini-dist from there to /usr/local/lib and rename it

 sudo mv php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini

anyone know a better way to just get php.ini?

a couple great sites for macosx

 http://www.stepwise.com
 http://macosxhints.com

hope this helps,
mike

on 1/13/02 6:03 PM, Michael Sciascia at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to this list and also to php and I am sorry to already bother you
> with a question you might find really stupid, but I looked around for this
> information several days now and I couldn't find some good resources.
>
> I installed php 4.1.0 on Mac OS X 10.1.2 and everything seems to work well,
> also with mySQL and Apache.
>
> I am learning php from a book for beginners full of explanations and
> scripts, so in the last days I wrote some scripts which make possible to
> send e-mails filling a form on the browser. The scripts worked out well, but
> I haven't been able to read the e-mails and understand where I should be
> able to.
>
> I believed I had to change the SMTP settings of php or some sort of mail
> server in the system and  reading some articles found in several web sites I
> think the solution would be to change some settings in the "php.ini" file.
>
> The build I downloaded doesn't have any "php.ini" file and in the faq
> section of the website from where I downloaded it
> (http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/) there is simply written to
> create the "php.ini" file in the "/usr/local/lib/php.ini", including the
> intermediate /lib/ directory that doesn't exist already on my system.
>
> I would like to know how I can create the "php.ini" file or if there is a
> easier way to get  and read the e-mails sent by the php scripts without
> working on the php configuration.
>
> I am sorry to disturb you all, but I don't have any experience and I haven't
> been able to find anything clear about this question.
>
> I would really appreciate if you could give me some tips or some web site's
> addresses where I can find easy information, or where I can download a copy
> of the "php.ini" file.
>
> I thank you in advance for the kindness and the attention.
>

> Greetings,
> Michael

 -- mike cullerton   michaelc at cullerton dot com