on 1/17/02 8:54 AM, Michael Sciascia at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Looking in the sendmail configuration with Webmin I see that the message
> sent by the php script is queued and that it isn't possible to send it
> because the host "www@localhost" isn't correct.
> In some web sites I found that I should change, in the hostconfig file, the
> value "Hostname = AUTOMATIC" to "Hostname = my domain" (which should be my
> IP or DNS)

isn't getting your bearings always the hardest part of getting started. it's
how all the pieces fit together that causes the magic. if you read between
the lines, i believe the website you mention has already answered some of
your remaining questions here. yet more of getting your bearings straight.

anyway, not sure how much of the following you already now, but here's a
bunch of stuff.

the hostconfig file doesn't have anything to do with php or sendmail. it is
only info about your host (or computer) so macosx can boot up properly.
processes on the box may use or need info generated from /etc/hostconfig.

my guess is that it's gonna be tough (but not impossible) to use sendmail on
your machine since you have a dynamic ip address.

the reason for this is that sendmail needs to know who 'it' is. ie, what
machine to send the message from. you may want to check out the apache
documentation

 http://httpd.apache.org/docs/

> What isn't really clear to me is which domain I have to write here.

i believe i am quoting from the website you mentioned

 this hostname is supposed to be the valid DNS entry of your Mac.

> I have an ISDN connection, so I don't have a static IP address and I don't
> know about the DNS.

first, to find the dns,

 nslookup your_ip_address

should return the name associated with the ip address. you really want the
name in the hostconfig file. if it's changing all the time, you will need to
change the entry in hostconfig or automate it.

> How do you usually check if a php script has really sent the e-mail to the
> address in the script?

you can't really. the mail function returns true if the mail was sent (as
far as php is concerned) but you don't necessarily now if the mail was
delivered. i'm not even sure if mail returns true in your case (the mail was
queued)

you can check the mail queue from the terminal with

 mailq

and (if sendmail is working) force messages to be sent with

 sendmail -q

> In the book I am using to approach to php this isn't explained, so I believe
> it should be something really easy to do. The book is for really and
> *absolute* beginners and everything is explained in a clear and exhaustive
> way. It also has a CD-ROM with mysql, php & apache and it clearly explains
> how to install them, but there isn't written anything about setting
> something special to let the e-mail scripts work (well actually something
> just for Windows and not for Linux or other *nix based systems like Mac OS
> X)

can't remember if i sent these to you already, but some good sites for
macosx are

 http://macosxhints.com/
 http://www.stepwise.com/
 http://www.kung-foo.tv/xtips.shtml
 http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/php/

> Which values do you think I should write in the hostconfig file? My usual
> provider domain (i.e. www.tiscali.it)?

ideally, you would type the fully qualified domain name of your computer.

so, to test all this

 - login to your isp
 - find out your hostname (nslookup ip_address)
 - edit /etc/hostconfig to add hostname
 - see if it works
 - woohooo!

now, the hard part is automating that :)

good luck,
mike

 -- mike cullerton   michaelc at cullerton dot com