Peter J. Schoenster wrote:

> Using mod_perl I can write a module for any phase that Apache
> goes through while handling a request. Based upon any variables I
> want, I can tell Apache to have my module handle one of those
> phases. So when you request this url for example:
>
> http://www.mydomain.com/joe.html
>
> My module can take joe.html and insert it as the body of a
> template and then return that to your browser or if you request
> something else like
>
> http://www.mydomain.com/image_of_joe.gif
>
> then my module just declines to handle that and apache continues
> through it's phases.

No, mod_php can't do that - at least not at this current stage.  I
*thought* I'd heard some rumblings of some of the PHP team looking to
address the issue of allowing PHP more access to the Apache request
cycle.  I think there's 7 stages, and PHP is only hooked in to one
stage, IIRC.

Maybe it was Rasmus in a recent interview who suggested there might be
tighter integration with Apache, I don't know.  Perhaps this is also
something for Apache 2, down the road,

> Here is an example (bad execution of an example though)
>
> http://161.58.230.66/images/
>

> I have the following .htaccess file in that directory:
>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Apache::Schoenster_Gallery
>
> PerlSetVar DOCROOT /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/images
> PerlSetVar URL_PATH /images
>
> I can stick this .htaccess file in any directory (only makes sense
> where I have images) and it uses those 2 variables above to
> determine where to read for images and where to write the files
> which produces the frame-set that you see (the module looks in
> that file for templates to parse so I can have different looks in
> different places wihout changing the module). I say it's a bad
> execution because I'm using imagemagick to resize (regardless of
> original size). If I add new images it will automatically create a
> thumbnail (which can currently be larger than the original :) of that.
> I use a db file to cache thumbnails already created but it does
> check file modification date to see if it should resize the image or
> not.
>
> But what I want to do is to do this with html files where I'll have a
> few templates (header,footer,navigation,boxes) that will be created
> on the fly depending upon variables when a client requests an html
> file and I want to know if I can do this in PHP without rewriting the
> url  (which is not such a bad option perhaps).
>
> Peter

I think you'll have to use url rewriting for this.  Not as tight
integration as mod_perl, but if you have to use it, that's probably your
only option at this point.

Good luck!

Michael Kimsal
http://www.phphelpdesk.com