Actually, it occurs on Solaris as well. I just coded up the script, and
it brought my server to its knees, though I was able to break it before
it hanged hard.

My configuration:

  * Solaris 8 108528-12
  * PHP 4.1.1 as an executable (didn't try through Apache)
  * 512mb ram, 1 @ 440MHx UltraSPARC IIi

My php.ini specifies:

  * max_execution_time = 120
  * memory_limit = 128M

Yet, I let the script run for a while (over two minutes) and it had
managed to consume 80% of my cpu time and over one gig of virtual memory
(phys + swap)!

It should be noted that while this is indeed a "very bad thing," the
following snippet of C code is just as bad, yet it's not technically a
bug -- just bad programming:

int main(void)
{
    void *p;
    while (1)
       p = malloc(1024);
    /*NOTREACHED*/
    return 0;
}

/bsh/

--

| Member of Technical Staff, Sun Microsystems, Inc. ESP Solaris SW  |