From: David Freeman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 9:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP] lookin for a Menuing System...

On 29 Apr 2002 at 14:05, Martin Towell wrote:

> javascript should be easy enough to convert to php - thier language
> constructs are basically the same.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate.  A menu system done in
php will have the advantage of being, from the browsers point of
view, plain html mostly.  The disadvantage is that every change to
that menu will have to be done server-side, meaning a page reload
even if that's the only content that changes on the page.

A menu system done in javascript won't require a reload but will, as
Miguel points out, potentially break on systems where javascript is
unavailable for whatever reason.

In the end you should always be coding pages to degrade 'gracefully'.
 Even if you use a javascript navigation system there should still be
a working menu system if javascript is not available.

CYA, Dave