The change to register_globals doesn't affect the Zend Optimizer or any
other extension afaik. That's a non-issue.

What is of issue are changes to the Zend Engine itself, which underlies PHP.
Changes have been made to ZE that affect binary compatibility, so ZO 1.20
doesn't work with PHP 4.2.1.

Here's the error message you'll likely receive if you try:

"Zend Optimizer requires Zend Engine API version 20010710.
The Zend Engine API version 20020429 which is installed, is newer."