I encountered that same timeout problem once, and I wound up just installing
my own copy of PhpMyAdmin in an .htaccess protected directory on the server,
and extending the time limit there.  It only took about 10 minutes to set
up, and as an added bonus it was a more recent version of PhpMyAdmin than
the one the host provided. :)

-Andy