I responded to this in a private email to you, and not on the forum...  I
did respond.  I will post here again so there is no question;

>I want to force it to use a cookie that points to a transparent SID on
>my system.

what I mean by this is it was my understanding when reading the sessions
doc's that there was a way to for the system to use a stored system ID
stored in an SID, but the information wouldn't be sent to the browser, but
be stored in a cookie.

>With use_trans_sid set, PHP is going to append the session ID to the URL
>of links, etc., on:

I tried setting the user_trans_sid = 0, but it still will not use a cookie.
it doesn't appear to change anything when I play with these settings.