ok - no cookie exists...  I have Netscape set to accept all cookies.  I'm
wondering if it is in my link, or if it is a configuration error somewhere.
here is a copy of the session options from my php.ini (as copied from Zend
Server Center)

Session data handler files
Session save path/tmp
Use cookies to store session ID On
Session name DomIntCom
Session auto start Off
Cookie lifetime0
Cookie path /tmp
Cookie domain xxx.xxx.xxx
Session handler for serializing data php
Garbage collection probability 1
Maximum lifetime of data 1440
HTTP referrer check Empty
Session entropy length 0