On 25/10/2023 11:12, Ronald Klop wrote:
Hi,

I see that you are compiling certbot to openssl from ports. Apparently you are running a not often used configuration of the port.

I'm not so sure about that. OpenSSL in ports is usually quite a lot ahead of base system OpenSSL, which is why I build everything against it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Did you try reaching out to the maintainer of the port (pyt...@freebsd.org)?

This bug is pretty well-known, and since it originates in pkgconf (not Python) and there is a lengthy PR about it (with a tentative patch, which I was told about just now), I decided to just post here to get some eyeballs, Successfully ;)

And there are also other implementations of the ACME protocol in the ports tree like security/acmetool. I have no experience with them but they might fit your use case.

dehydrate and acmetools are currently on the radar to avoid the next (unavoidable) issue with certbot.

Sorry I can't help you further for now. Maybe others have more handson experience with running python with openssl111 from ports.

PS: as you have the name "Dutch" in your email please check out the upcoming Dutch BSD event in November: https://bsdnl.nl/

I can't, but I'll alert the FreeBSD Forums about it; plenty of Dutchies on there as well.

*Van:* Dutch Daemon - FreeBSD Forums Administrator <dutchdae...@freebsd.org>
*Datum:* woensdag, 25 oktober 2023 09:22
*Aan:* freebsd-po...@freebsd.org
*Onderwerp:* Re: FreeBSD 13 + CertBot + OpenSSL 3 - status?

    On October 24, 2023 14:54:40 DutchDaemon - FreeBSD Forums
    Administrator <dutchdae...@freebsd.org> wrote:

        Does anyone in 'port land' know what the current developments
        are wrt CertBot (or py-crypto under its hood)?

        CertBot is happily compiling against OpenSSL 3 from ports, but
        when running 'certbot', the crypto side of it talks to the
        base system OpenSSL 1.1.1, hence failing because the OpenSSL
        1.1.1 library does not understand the OpenSSL 3 calls made to it.

        From what I understood, this was due to an error/regression in
        pkgconf(?) which causes some type of 'path reversal' that
        causes py-crypto to ignore the OpenSSL it was compiled
        against, favoring the base system library.

        I either have to revert a whole lot of servers back to OpenSSL
        1.1.1w from ports in order to renew certificates, or wait for
        "any movement" in getting the path reversal addressed/fixed.

        So: does anyone know where we're at with this?

    Memory jog:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "/usr/local/bin/certbot", line 33, in <module>
     sys.exit(load_entry_point('certbot==2.6.0', 'console_scripts',
    'certbot')())
     File "/usr/local/bin/certbot", line 25, in importlib_load_entry_point
     return next(matches).load()
     File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/importlib/metadata.py", line 86,
    in load
     module = import_module(match.group('module'))
     File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/importlib/__init__.py", line 127,
    in import_module
     return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
     File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1030, in _gcd_import
     File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_load
     File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in
    _find_and_load_unlocked
     File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 680, in _load_unlocked
     File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 850, in
    exec_module
     File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 228, in
    _call_with_frames_removed
     File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/certbot/main.py",
    line 6, in <module>
     from certbot._internal import main as internal_main
     File
    "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/certbot/_internal/main.py",
    line 21, in <module>
     import josepy as jose
     File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/josepy/__init__.py",
    line 40, in <module>
     from josepy.json_util import (
     File
    "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/josepy/json_util.py", line
    14, in <module>
     from OpenSSL import crypto
     File
    "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/OpenSSL/__init__.py", line
    8, in <module>
     from OpenSSL import SSL, crypto
     File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/OpenSSL/SSL.py",
    line 9, in <module>
     from OpenSSL._util import (
     File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/OpenSSL/_util.py",
    line 6, in <module>
     from cryptography.hazmat.bindings.openssl.binding import Binding
     File

"/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/binding.py",
    line 15, in <module>
     from cryptography.exceptions import InternalError
     File
    "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/cryptography/exceptions.py",
    line 9, in <module>
     from cryptography.hazmat.bindings._rust import exceptions as
    rust_exceptions
    ImportError:

/*usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/_rust.abi3.so*:
    Undefined symbol "EVP_default_properties_is_fips_enabled"