also sprach Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> [2017-09-17 16:34 +0200]:
> 1) Use smtpd_tls_CA_file to trust ONLY the letsencrypt CA.

Right, especially since I could set this only for the smtpd handling
submissions and need not impose this setting on regular port 25 SMTP
connections.

I suppose it would get difficult if there was more than one issuing
CA, but that's probably a rare case, if at all.

> 2) Use a new check_certname_access feature to reject out-of-doman
>    names. Postfix should not make 'allow' decisions based on name
>    information in a certificate with an untrusted CA.

Why do you consider the CA untrusted? Isn't that the whole point of
the smtpd_tls_CA_file setting? Am I not making the statement "I
trust the certificates issued by this CA to have reliable CNs" by
specifying smtpd_tls_CA_file in our scenario?

If Postfix couldn't issue "allow" based on check_certname_access,
then the logic would have to be:

  check_certname_access (reject if !.example.org)
  permit

which IMHO is backwards and not any more secure than

  check_certname_access (permit if .example.org)
  reject

… unless you had something else in mind to issue that "permit" in
the first example?

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

spamtraps: madduck.bo...@madduck.net