also sprach Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> [2017-09-17 17:26 +0200]:
> > > 2) Use a new check_certname_access feature to reject out-of-doman
> > >    names. Postfix should not make 'allow' decisions based on name
> > >    information in a certificate with an untrusted CA.
>
> Any CA that is not in smtpd_tls_CA_file. I see no harm in allowing
> 'reject' decisions based on the name in a certificate from an unknown
> CA.

If a client connects to the submission port and presents
a certificate that is not from a trusted CA, then
check_certname_access obviously can't make an authoritative
decision, and the client will most likely end up in some "reject"
later on in the restriction list. I.e. I think in that case,
check_certname_access should always return DUNNO.

If a client connects and presents a certificate from a CA listed in
smtpd_tls_CA_file, then I don't see a reason why the new
check_certname_access shouldn't be able to cast an "OK" and thereby
permit accepting/relaying of the message.

I hope we're not talking past each other.

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

remember, half the people are below average.

spamtraps: madduck.bo...@madduck.net