Ben, a few questions / clarifications:

> Voting in the FIS shall be limited to Forum members. Voting shall be
> egalitarian: all Members shall vote together as a single
Does this mean the Subcommittee will run a ballot rather than the Forum, or
will the Forum still run the actuall ballot?

> Voting shall be egalitarian: all Members shall vote together as a single
> class
Is the intent here to also allow Associated Members, Probationary Members and
Interested Parties to vote?
Regards,

Martijn

From: Public <public-boun...@cabforum.org> on behalf of Ben Wilson via Public
<public@cabforum.org>
Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 17:37
To: CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List <public@cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Draft Charter for IPR Subcommittee

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content
is safe.

All,

I will put this in ballot format. I am looking for endorsers.

Thanks,

Ben

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 10:48 AM Ben Wilson <bwil...@mozilla.com
<mailto:bwil...@mozilla.com>> wrote:

All,
As mentioned during the Forum teleconference of April 11, 2024, here is a draft
charter for a Forum IPR Subcommittee. (This effort is separate, but somewhat in
parallel to the work of the Patent Advisory Group, which will be handling
GoDaddy's Patent Exclusion Notice, filed Mar. 22, 2024, in relation to Ballot
SC-70.)
Please provide your comments or questions.
Thanks,
Ben

Forum IPR Subcommittee Charter
Upon approval of the CAB Forum by ballot in accordance with section 5.6 of the
Bylaws, the Forum IPR Subcommittee (“FIS”) is created to perform the activities
as specified in this Charter, subject to the terms and conditions of the
CA/Browser Forum Bylaws and Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy, as such
documents may change from time to time. The definitions found in the Forum’s
Bylaws or IPR Policy shall apply to capitalized terms in this Charter.
Scope
The primary activity of the FIS shall be to review, and propose revisions to,
the Forum’s IPR Policy, IPR Policy Agreement, exclusion notice template, and
similar documents. The FIS may perform other activities ancillary to this
primary activity. The FIS will not create Final Guidelines or Final Maintenance
Guidelines.
Anticipated End Date
The FIS is chartered without a specific end date. However, it is expected that
the FIS will deliver results of its initial work to the Forum prior to _____
2024. Thereafter, the FIS will continue to exist, but may be dissolved at any
time by Forum ballot.
Initial Chairs and Contacts
The proposer of the ballot adopting this Charter, Ben Wilson, will act as
organizer of the FIS until the first teleconference is held for the FIS, at
which time the FIS will elect a chair and vice-chair, either by vote or by
acclamation of those present. The chair and vice-chair will normally serve
two-year terms. However, the first term will start upon their election and run
through 31 October 2026.
Members Eligible to Participate
The FIS welcomes the participation of any Member organization of the Forum
interested in this work. Forum Members that have initially declared their
participation in this Subcommittee are:
Amazon, Apple, DigiCert, GoDaddy, Google, HARICA, Let’s Encrypt, Mozilla,
Sectigo, SwissSign,
Voting and Voting Structure
Voting in the FIS shall be limited to Forum members. Voting shall be
egalitarian: all Members shall vote together as a single class, with one vote
granted to each Member organization. Any decisions of the FIS needed to be
voted upon by the FIS shall be considered adopted if the number of votes in
favor exceeds 50% of the votes cast.
Primary Means of Communication
The FIS will communicate primarily through listserv-based email and shall
conduct periodic calls or face-to-face meetings as needed.