On Dec 7, 2022, at 02:57, Petr Viktorin <encu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to point out that the SC decision was *reactive*, after most
> discussions moved to Discourse without SC pushing.
>
> I liked the list myself! But as soon as most of the posts were mandatory PEP
> and release notices, it stopped being useful.

Just another data point on the switch to Discourse.  I was personally invested
in mailing lists, having been the project leader for GNU Mailman for 20+ years
(retired a few years now).  Python-dev email was a central and indispensable
part of my daily workflow.   Gradually as more discussions moved to Discourse,
so did I.  I recently also turned off email notifications for GitHub and just
use the GH UI for that.  I absolutely love not having to slog through hundreds
of emails before my first shots of caffeine, and I can now pull from Discourse
or GH when it’s convenient for me.  It’s also much easier to disengage for a
few days and catch up later.

I have my complaints about Discourse, but for me the benefits far outweigh the
negatives.  My email is manageable again and I’m not going back!

That said, I don’t think python-dev should be shut down just yet, but it sure
is nice to not be overwhelmed and stressed out every single day by the bloat in
my Python inbox.

-Barry