On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 12:27 PM Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I'd be hesitant about calling exception chaining a failure (like
> the OP, not Steven, did) for a while yet. And even then, I would't
> call it a failure, just a relatively niche feature that is helpful in
> some uncommon cases.

I didn't call exception chaining a failure. What is currently a failure is
the "raise foo from bar" syntax, and the accompanying difference between
"Direct cause of" and "During handling of". I love this feature and I want
it to succeed.

The thing is, it's not enough for some packages to use "raise foo from
bar", while others (like Django) don't. Most Python developers don't know
about this difference between "During the handling of" and "The above
exception was the direct cause", because "raise foo from bar" isn't that
prevalent yet. This is a chicken-and-egg problem, because as long as
project maintainers don't use "raise foo from bar", the exception chaining
wouldn't show the correct text, and people would get used to the fact that
they can't rely on this text to be correct.

Like any chicken-and-egg problem of changing people's habits, the best we
could hope is to move it forward at a glacial pace-- A situation somewhat
similar to the move to Python 3.

Thanks,
Ram.