On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 10:44 AM YiFei Zhu <zhuyifei1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2023 at 8:51 AM Roy Smith <r...@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to follow the directions at
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Tutorial#How_to_submit_a_patch
> >
> > I made a branch (roysmith-T340447) and committed my patch there.  Then I
> > did "git pull --rebase origin master", but when I do "git review -R", it
> > lists a whole bunch of changes that it's going to commit.
> >
> > The outstanding commits are:
> >
> > d2d427f6e (HEAD -> roysmith-T340447) Make test independent of current
> > directory.
> > 8d0a3fd85 (origin/master, origin/HEAD) Update git submodules
> > be68060bc (master) Update git submodules
> > 3c58add93 fix end of file
> > 2b0db6e0a make files with shebangs executable
> > 5eb15cc79 [FIX] do not test sys.argv[0]
> > 137bcdff5 Update git submodules
> >
> > Do you really want to submit the above commits?
> >

> > I don't have any experience using git rebase, so I'm not sure if this is
> > what I should be expecting.
>
> Did you add multiple remotes? Check `git remote -v`. If this is the
> case, and if your current branch tracks a different remote that is not
> "origin", this can happen. And a simple workaround is `git fetch
> --all`.
>
> That said, you can go ahead and send the patch anyways. Gerrit won't
> create duplicates.

I should clarify, "Gerrit won't create duplicates" is true in this
instance because the parent 8d0a3fd85 is submitted. It is not
generically applicable for all kinds of rebases (it is not applicable
in, for example, doing a rebase in the reverse direction, i.e.
attempting to rebase upstream onto your development branch) and you
should check on a case-by-case basis.