Hi Sibylle,
To extract the Bioregions, I suggest you utilise the option Selected features
only which is a tick box below, where you select Mask layer. All you need to do
is select, on the map canvas, the bioregion you want to extract.

QGIS is capable of loading Tiff's I use them exclusively in any Raster work I
do. The virtual raster<https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/vrt.html> is just an
easy way for you to merge/mosaic the raster's (10-12 Raster's) together into a
single raster.
Kind Regards,

Richard

--
Richard McDonnell MSc GIS, FME Certified Professional
Flood Risk Management - Data Management

--
Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí
Office of Public Works

Sráid Jonathan Swift, Baile Átha Troim, Co na Mí, C15 NX36
Jonathan Swift Street, Trim, Co Meath, C15 NX36
--
M +353 87 688 5964 T +353 46 942 2409
https://gov.ie/opw

--
To send me files larger than 30MB, please use the link below
https://filetransfer.opw.ie/filedrop/richard.mcdonn...@opw.ie

Email Disclaimer:
https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/439daf-email-disclaimer/