> On Jul 14, 2023, at 11:19 AM, Hadley Wickham <h.wick...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> If CRAN cannot trust even the official one of Rust, why does CRAN have Rust
>>> at all?
>>>

>> I don't see the connection - if you downloaded something in the past it
>> doesn't mean you will be able to do so in the future. And CRAN has Rust
>> because it sounded like a good idea to allow packages to use it, but I can
>> see that it opened a can of worms that we trying to tame here.
>
> Can you give a bit more detail about your concerns here? Obviously
> crates.io isn't some random site on the internet, it's the official
> repository of the Rust language, supported by the corresponding
> foundation for the language. To me that makes it feel very much like
> CRAN, where we can assume if you downloaded something in the past, you
> can download something in the future.

I was just responding to Yutani's question why we downloaded the Rust compilers
on CRAN at all. This has really nothing to do with the previous discussion
which is why I did say "I don't see the connection". Also I wasn't talking
about crates.io anywhere in my responses in this thread. The only thing I
wanted to discuss here was that I think the existing Rust model  ("vendor" into
the package sources) seems like a good one to apply to Go, but that got somehow
hijacked...

Cheers,
Simon