On 5 March 2024 at 15:12, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| On 05/03/2024 2:26 p.m., Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > The default behaviour is to build after every commit to the main branch.
But
| > there are options. On the repo I mentioned we use
| >
| >      "branch": "*release",
|
| Where do you put that?  I don't see r2u on R-universe, so I guess you're
| talking about a different repo; which one?

In the (optional) control repo that can drive your 'r-universe', and the file
has to be named 'packages.json'. For you the repo would

    https://github.com/dmurdoch/dmurdoch.r-universe.dev

(and the naming rule was tightened by Jeroen recently -- we used to call
these just 'universe', now it has to match your runiverse)

The file packages.json would then have a block

  {
    "package": "rgl",
    "maintainer": "Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.dun...@gmail.com>"
    "url": "https://github.com/dmurdoch/rgl";,
    "available": true,
    "branch": "*release"
  }

The reference I mentioned is our package 'tiledbsoma' (joint work of TileDB
and CZI, in https://github.com/single-cell-data/TileDB-SOMA) and described here:

https://github.com/TileDB-Inc/tiledb-inc.r-universe.dev/blob/master/packages.json

(and you can ignore the '"subdir": "apis/r"' which is a facet local to that
repo).

Note that 'my' packages.json in my eddelbuettel.r-universe.dev ie

https://github.com/eddelbuettel/eddelbuettel.r-universe.dev/blob/master/packages.json

also describe but without the '"branch": "*release"' and that builds with every
merge to
the main branch by my choice; that build is mine and 'inofficial' giving us two.

| > It is under your control. You could document how to install via `remotes`
| > from that branch.  As so often, it's about trading one thing off for
another.

| I do that, but my documentation falls off the bottom of the screen, and
| the automatic docs generated by R-universe are at the top.

I always get lost in the r-universe docs too. Some, as Jeroen kindly reminded
me the other day, are here:  https://github.com/r-universe-org

Dirk

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org