Am 15.05.24 um 00:09 schrieb Lluís Revilla:
Hi Junhui,

There is a separate log for checking if your package works without
suggested packages: in the StepReg results
The noSuggests title leads to:
https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/noSuggests/StepReg.out
Where you can see that it fails if a user don't have BiocStyle installed.
I don't know if it is possible to use a vignette output conditionally with
knitr: In any case it seems that it would be a requirement (Imports, or
Depends).

Yes, I'd consider the package providing the vignette output format for the rmarkdown engine, here BiocStyle, as a strong dependency of that vignette. The error from the additional "noSuggests" check (<https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/noSuggests/README.txt>) shows it cannot be rebuild if BiocStyle is unavailable.

The 'StepReg' vignette could use a metadata line to declare strong vignette dependencies, for example:

    %\VignetteDepends{StepReg, BiocStyle, kableExtra}

(I haven't checked if this list is complete.)

This avoids spurious check errors in incomplete setups, such as when mass-checking packages (e.g., reverse dependencies) without some of the suggested packages being installed.

Best,

        Sebastian Meyer

However, it is best to not use the Bioconductor style for a package in
CRAN.
You could use the *_vignette or *_document format directly (from rmarkdown
if I recall correctly).
You will remove a dependency and avoid this problem entirely.

Best,

Lluís