And a bit more. The Rcmdr crash happens here:

debugging in: .Tcl.objv(.Tcl.args.objv(...))
debug: structure(.External(.C_dotTclObjv, objv), class = "tclObj")
Browse[2]> objv
[[1]]
<Tcl> wm

[[2]]
<Tcl> protocol

[[3]]
<Tcl> .1

[[4]]
<Tcl> WM_DELETE_WINDOW

[[5]]
<Tcl> R_call 0x7fedc1987ff8

Browse[2]>
Abort trap: 6

and I can make the same thing happen in wish, so it is Not Our Fault:

Peter-Dalgaards-iMac:BUILD pd$ /usr/local/bin/wish
% toplevel .1
.1
% wm protocol .1 WM_DELETE_WINDOW {puts hi}
/usr/local/bin/wish: line 2: 32765 Abort trap: 6           "$(dirname
$0)/../../../Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.6/Resources/Wish.app/Contents/MacOS/Wish"
 "$@"

-pd