Hi R@Mac developers,

I switched yesterday to a new M2 MacBook, coming from a 3+ year old Intel
MacBook.
The concrete problem is that my R package mmrm (including C++ and in
particular Eigen/TMB code) successfully compiles, but the tests fail, i.e.
the compiled and installed R package does not behave correctly.

First I thought that this is just my local toolchain which is not yet
appropriately configured, but I tried to read more on that and got OpenMP
and gfortran and it should be ok.
So I thought ok, maybe I will try the Mac Builder website and find out in
which commit the R package broke.

Unfortunately, the problem is that the Mac Builder does not help us
sufficiently here, because even the current CRAN release (0.2.2, where
tests based on CRAN binary pass fine locally and on CRAN) leads to test
failures on Mac Builder.

I do see a few differences between the CRAN reported setup and the mac
Builder:
- CRAN is running under macOS Big Sur 11.6.7, while Mac Builder is running
under macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (same as my local machine)
- CRAN uses C++ compiler ‘Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.30)’
(and not 14.0.0 as used for the R compilation!) for the package build,
while Mac Builder uses ‘Apple clang version 14.0.3 (clang-1403.0.22.14.1)’
(this is the same as on my local machine)

At least Mac Builder and my local machine thus use a similar setup it
seems (even though M1 vs M2 difference exists)

My question is: what are your tips on how to move forward here? How can we
set up the Apple clang version and maybe other build flags locally - as
well as on Mac Builder for the whole community - to really match the CRAN
configuration sufficiently well and thus allow for successful package
builds?

Thanks all,
best regards
Daniel