Leandro Jones replied to Stephane Bouee:

> One could argue that your characters are not defined using a
> phylogenetic criterion; that is, when performing a phylogenetic
> analysis (either by ML or Parsimony), you have to assume that your
> dataset is made of homology hypotheses. That is, one could argue that
> your data are based on similarity relationships rather than on
> hypotheses of historical transformations.
> Having this in mind, it is questionable whether, using these data, any
> method could produce an acceptable estimate of the phylogeny of your
> group of interest.

If one simply measures the same character in different species,
is that not good enough?  My curiousity is because I suspect that
if Stephane had coded his characters 0/1 before trying to analyze
them, they would then be accepted as "made of homology hypotheses".

J.F.
----
Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu