One more comment on all of this.  From the standpoint of "comparative methods,"
some similar things have occurred.  In particular, the early attempts to take
evolutionary relationships into account when performing statistical analyses
that compared, say, brain size, were always taxonomic, in that Class, Order,
Family, etc. might be taken into account.  This was done without much thought
given to whether the classification used was or was not very well tied to
evolutionary (phylogenetic) relationships for the particular group under study.

As my colleagues and I have written, the first "fully phylogenetic" comparative
method was Felsenstein's (1985) independent contrasts.  By "fully
phylogenetic," I mean that it could use any specified topology (branching
order) and set of branch lengths, along with an assumed Brownian-motion like
model of trait evolution.  This was a huge advance, for several reasons.  For
example, at least under older taxonomic schemes, named groups at a given level
(e.g., different families of birds) were never likely to be very comparable in
terms of age -- and hence expected amount of phenotypic variance among species.

Anyway, it took a long time, and perhaps some "unnecessary shouting," to
convince practitioners that *phylogenetic* comparative methods are
fundamentally different from those that are only based on taxonomy, which can
never convey as much information as a detailed (and accurate!) phylogenetic
tree.

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr., Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Biology
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521
Phone:  (951) 827-3524 = Ted's office (with answering machine)
Phone:  (951) 827-5724 = Ted's lab
Phone:  (951) 827-5903 = Dept. office
Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
FAX:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html
List of all publications with PDF files:
http://biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland/GarlandPublications.html

Garland, T., Jr., and M. R. Rose, eds. 2009. Experimental evolution: concepts,
methods, and applications of selection experiments. University of California
Press, Berkeley, California.
http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10604.php

Associate Director
Network for Experimental Research on Evolution
http://nere.bio.uci.edu/
(A University of California Multicampus Research Project)