Hi Alison,

Since the "fan" or radial style tree is just a phylogram bent into a circle, if you rotate all the nodes of the tree you will rotate all the tips at the top of the radial tree to the bottom (and vice versa). For instance:

library(ape)
tr1<-tr2<-rtree(10)
plot(tr1,type="fan")
for(i in 1:tr2$Nnode) tr2<-rotate(tr2,i+length(tr2$tip))
plot(tr2,type="fan")

I'm not sure if this will be any help at all, though. The same principle applies with radial.phylog in the ade4 package:

library(ade4)
radial.phylog(newick2phylog(write.tree(tr1)))
radial.phylog(newick2phylog(write.tree(tr2)))

Hopefully someone else has a better idea.  - Liam

--
Liam J. Revell
University of Massachusetts Boston