I certainly appreciate Grant's participation here to explain what he has.
Any change to an icon comes with some nail biting and nerves.  It's
expected.   I'm sure the new Atlantis will be a great bike.  How can it
not?  In my case, I have no complaint or critique so much as a quest for
clarity.  What are the expected effects of the changes?

I sometimes liken the possibilities of riding a bike to color spaces.  Here
is an image from this page to illustrate:
https://www.color-management-guide.com/color-spaces.html

Consider this area the whole of the bike use spectrum.  The two lines
within may illustrate two different bikes.  Both cover the center and not
insignificant areas of the spectrum, but they are not identical.  Though
there are some common areas that overlap, they also each cover an area the
other does not.  Bikes are similar.  All of the Riv bikes are good bikes
that can all do some basic things of the bike use spectrum well, but some
models also have areas not as well covered by other models.  Shifts to
accommodate more of one area give up some cover in another.  That's
expected.

In the case of the the new vs old Atlantis, I was trying to speculate on
what this scope of spectrum shift might have been and, possibly, how that
shift may be explained.  The longer chainstays help with the mountain bike
aspect, but will likely have some impact on commuting via public
transport.  Are there other areas of the bike use spectrum that would have
similar positive, neutral, or negative impacts of the change?

Tim