Good evening,

A recent experience has made me curious on everyones opinion of wearing
helmets. To some, it seems against the standard Rivendell ethos to wear a
helmet. In this case as in others (clipless pedals)I stray from the
standard Rivendell line. I believe in them, I won't get on my bike without
one for any meaningful ride. Last night, I had an experience that made me
damn glad that I do. I was riding eastbound on Pescadero Road right at rush
hour, Butano Creek has been flooding the road for some time now so when
traffic coming from both directions approaches the flooded area both sides
form a cue. I was riding faster than I normally do as it had just started
to pour and I was headed home, as I followed a car across the flooded
section because of the small wake, I couldn't see the fog line which I try
to stay to the left of, also I was watching the cars much closer than I was
where my front tire was going.Well as you probably guessed I crashed hard
when my from tire hit the lip of a pothole at an angle that thru me
sideways off the bike. My helmeted head hit the pavement hard, and while I
didn't loose consciousness I wasn't able to stand on my own or get up for a
minute or two despite laying in 4-5 inches of cold water. There's no
question that I'd have been injured far worse than I was had I not had a
helmet on. I ended up in a ambulance and was taken to the ER. Today, I'm a
bit foggy, and my neck is killing me. I was concussed and have a whiplash,
the doctor told me I was lucky I had a helmet on, I did not go over the
handlebars but fell sideways and hit the side of my head.
I guess my point is I think this accident could happen to anyone, I've been
riding bikes since the early 1960's and I haven't crashed this hard in
decades. I did make some errors,  like not waiting for the traffic to pass,
but I've crossed this spot many times this winter as well as turning around
when there's too much water. I'm usually cautious as injuries heal slowly
at my age.
So my question is, helmet or no helmet, and if no helmet why?

Thanks
Mark
Pescadero Basin