This advice all applies only to threaded forks (all Rivs except Gus and
tandem):
1. Use as many spacers as necessary so that the lock nut (top nut) is fully
engaged with the threads but doesn't bottom out.
2. Most (or all) threaded forks have a key groove in the steer tube,
cutting vertically through the threads (it is barely visible at 4:23 in the
video you linked). A lock washer goes on the stack above the bottom nut
(which is the top bearing's inner race), with a tab or "key" that fits in
this groove. As a result, the lock washer cannot spin relative to the steer
tube. Thus, friction from the spinning of the locknut and spacers above
this lock washer cannot cause the bottom nut to spin. So that bottom nut
will stay where you left it, even though you may crank down the top (aka
lock) nut with just one wrench.
3. There is an ideal tightness to which you will set the bearing. But the
lock nut works by stretching the steel of the steer tube (just a tiny bit!)
until the threads don't engage the bottom nut (this is why the bottom nut
doesn't work loose over rough terrain). Stretching the steer tube elongates
it, so the bearings get looser. Therefore, you must adjust the bearing to
be too tight before the locknut goes on, so that the stretching brings the
bearing to ideal tightness. Accomplishing this requires a feel that
develops over time. Or you could just get a sealed-bearing headset, which
allow much more leeway in bearing adjustment without feeling loose or tight
(because a sealed bearing headset squeezes the bearing races, not the
balls.)

Hope this helps!
-Wes