Oh, and to be more practical: If you can turn the top (lock) nut by hand,
it is not doing anything. I am not sure why the video recommends backing
off the lock nut, but I don't think you should. The "lock" function comes
from tightening that nut until it stretches the steerer. Taken to the
extreme, this will cause the threaded section to be in tension between the
lower and upper nuts until turning either nut in either direction would
feel like "tightening" it. Hence, the nuts are locked. This is how the lock
nuts on loose-bearing hubs work, for instance. You don't need to go to that
extreme on the headset, since the upper bearing doesn't really do anything
other than keep the steerer centered (the bottom bearing carries all the
weight). So just go ahead and turn the lock nut until it is snug
(guesstimating: 15 ft-lbs) and go ride.
-W