Hi Modemmisuser,

Best of luck on your bar search and congrats to your spouse on her return
to cycling!  I certainly endorse bar/stem swapping... both on the bike and
off the bike (via trades.)  I have been in your scenario feeling 'meh' with
certain set-ups and previously bought some new parts here or there to try
when I actually had some disposable income as well as more free time for
wrenching.  Since then my available funds and free time have significantly
reduced but I've still managed to opportunistically offload and obtain
various bars and components through mutually beneficial trades in recent
years with the added bonus of simply covering your own shipping, thus
avoiding any other exchange of funds in many cases.  They don't all
necessarily balance out exactly and some were larger or more complex multi
component trade arrangements growing out of a single WTT/WTB or FS post
while some had occasional partial fund exchanges to offset value
imbalances, etc.  Some just end up lopsided on the shipping end but
ultimately it's been a wash in my view even if on the losing end of a
shipping disparity as it's helped reduce my own excess while gaining
something desired and avoiding managing my own garage sale of spare parts.
That may sound like I'm against selling parts.  I'm NOT!  I just know I
don't personally have the capacity right now to manage my own listings and
then add some seller remorse from a part here or there so I've kind of
hoarded what remains while awaiting an opportune moment to either use,
trade, or sell when ready.  Sorry for the digression, that's not even
relevant to your query.

With so many drop bars out there I'm sure there may be one that will meet
all your needs and may take time to try and identify it.  It may even
require a compromise on stem preference or aesthetics if willing to
consider other clamp diameters.  I may have missed it but don't think you
mentioned what exact size Noodle you have?  I went through several
different bars and ultimately found the Nitto RM013 (in 52cm) got me about
90% where I wanted to be with drops once I acquired the wider size.  I was
initially very confused on how so many drops are sized differently... even
among Nitto made models like the Noodle vs. RM-013 Dirt Drop which are
measured completely different for size designation!  Once I got to try the
next size up (finding my middle sized 48cm just a little too narrow for me)
I found a near goldilocks bar offering most of what I wanted in a varied
drop and liked the unique drop only flare with traditional ramps for mixed
terrain riding.  Now I'm back to lacking a drop bar build with the dirt
drops in reserve again.

I tried RM-016 Moustache as well as a butterfly trekking bar on various
builds and these comparisons led me to believe I'd like an Albastache to
kind of meet in the middle between the two styles/widths but then I
ultimately found some unexpected results with both a Chocomoose as well as
a Soma Urban Pursuit bar.  These are now mounted on two different builds
but actually have similar characteristics in their long uninterrupted
'ramp' type grip area once I switched to bar end brake levers and a full
grip tape wrap from end to stem junction on the Chocomoose.  On the Soma
pursuit bar the bar end brake levers are out front kind of like hooded road
levers and have nice and looong, flat ramp sections giving lots of room to
move.  These are admittedly on single speeds with no concern for shifter
placement but with potential for thumb or stem shifters away from the grip
areas.  I briefly used the Urban Pursuit bar with a traditional Sturmey
Archer three speed trigger shifter mounted on the bottom side of the right
corner along the flats with tape over the clamp and that worked pretty well
until I went a different direction with the bike.  You obviously lose the
drop area when moving to something like the moustache, pursuit, or Choco
bar but once I realized I appreciated having a long uninterrupted grip to
move around I didn't really miss the drop on those builds that much.

At one point I really liked *most *things about the widest Salsa Cowbell
EXCEPT the reach and short ramp.  Maybe on a geared road bike with big
brifters I wouldn't have minded but with the non-brifter Tektro levers I
was using I just couldn't find a happy spot along the short ramps and
didn't like being limited to the hood itself.  Otherwise the width, flare,
drops, flats all felt great (to me) after ruling out various other drops.

Again, best of luck on your bar adventure!

Brian Cole