Hi Aaron. I was just telling another list member privately that Paul
Thumbies + Shimano SL-BS77s are my idea of shifting nirvana. We have this
combo on five of our bikes. I use them strictly in friction mode and they
totally fulfilled my quest for awesome shifting. No need to explore
shifters anymore!

With the high-end drivetrain you're setting up, I can't imagine you will
find smoother, lighter, or more precise action.

The caveat is that what works for one person won't necessarily work for
someone else. It's subjective and idiosyncratic.

Good luck!

Jim