Pics of the Ridge Searcher? (And who comes up with these names? It's as bad
as pharmaceuticals.)

As to why bike mfrs complicate what is really a very simple and easily
learned action -- shifting a chain to different cogs or rings -- I think
it's largely marketing: #1: make it idiot-proof (*) so that you don't scare
away neophytes and therefore can sell more bikes, and #2: make it more
"techie" so that you attract more buyers interested in "latest and
greatest" who after purchase will leave the bike in the garage for 15 years
until a relative posts it on Craigslist.

I'm exaggerating, but I do think that these 2 motives drive much innovation
-- some of which, I grant, ends up being very, very useful indeed --
clipless pedals, modern LED lighting, plastic-base saddles (sorry, tho'
just bought B17N, love the original Flite), aero levers, close ratio fixed
IGHs. (Wait ...)

Really, to fully inoculate yourself against all this sort of thing, reduce
your entire bike stable to fixed gears.

Patrick Moore, who fondly remembers hot-rodding a 1992 XO-1 with purple
anodized 370 gram Sun M14As, Specialized 26X1" Turbos, a 12-19 7-sp with
Topline SL triple, and Twist Grip (tm) drop bar shifters (they worked --
not badly; you did have to very slightly overshift for best performance).

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing
services

*When thou didst not, savage, k**now thine own meaning,*

*But wouldst gabble like a** thing most brutish,*

*I endowed thy purposes w**ith words that made them known.*