I forgot to add that the one summer I worked in a bike shop, a great deal
of my work was tuneups for low-end '90s mtbs that had been sitting in
garages or sheds for years. Many came with Grip Shift. I don't recall ever
one of these systems being unrepairable, tho' I did occasionally find
unrepairable Shimano trigger shifters. Cheap plastic, not the most precise
shifters, but apparently pretty indestructible. Still, I too prefer
friction.