I'd imagine you'd want to slice the grips anyway to provide a channel for
the shift cables to run through, so slicing then wrapping should be fine.

You could also twine along with bar tape. Here are a few variations on
that:
https://bluelug.com/bike-catalog/16815/
https://bluelug.com/bike-catalog/16524/
https://bluelug.com/bike-catalog/16827/