On Aug 7, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Chris Chen wrote:

> Quick question which I cannot find the answer to on the BAM page.
>
> How reliable is the BAM service?  Does it provide a persistent
> subscription feature like JMS?  In critical services where packets are
> sent and must be processed by a subscriber without losing that
> information, does BAM take care of this?  Is there also a transaction
> feature to BAM where a message could either be put back into the queue
> to be retried if transaction fails and rolls back?

Not yet.  The current queue capability is a simple memory-based
queue.  Since we only added/cleaned-up the queue at the last minute,
there wasn't time to also add the persistent capabilities.  It's
definitely in the plan.  (I just added a bug report at
http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=2826
  to make it concrete.)

The subscriber issue is interesting since Jabber defines persistence
as one of their "XEP" capabilities (XEP are mini-specs, basically
defining mixin capabilities.)  I haven't quite figured out how to make
those capabilities work in a generic fashion, i.e. available for
anyone, not just tied to a specific chat implementation.

> it may be that BAM is currently geared towards the chat architecture
> such as twitter/IM/comet/etc so this may not apply, but I'd like to
> know the options available.

The persistence and XA does fit into the architecture.  It's
interesting, as I work more with BAM examples, it's really more
capable than the lightweight IM/comet framework that we'd initially
envisioned.  In the 3.2.1 timeframe, I'm planning on some ESB/SOA
experiments to see how well it works in that space.

> What's the plan for Resin's BAM and JMS implementation?  Separate or
> may be integrated into one?

I'm going to try to integrate them.  It'll be interesting, since BAM
is a slightly lower layer than JMS, since its payload is just a
Serializable and the only meta information are the "to" and "from".
So the JMS Message classes may define a JMS layer on top of BAM.
It'll take some experimentation to see how that will work.

A nice thing about developing in BAM is that it's so stripped-down,
that you can consider more use-case combinations than a more
complicated model like JMS.

-- Scott