> #2 is still a mystery to me.  I'm in a servlet, how do I
> programmatically tell the container to "log me in" with a username and
> password?

This page has a good overview of how to do it:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=24253&seqNum=7

So you set up your security constraints in your resin.xml and reference
a custom authenticator inside the login-config.  The create your custom
authenticator by AbstractAuthenticator.

Note the code in the example is referencing:
com.caucho.server.http.AbstractAuthenticator but I think you want to
extend com.caucho.server.AbstractAuthenticator instead, as I think the
.http. version is deprecated.

- Aaron