Is there a compelling reason why we must define our beans and services
in resin-web.xml?  Will this continue to be the case going forward in
Resin 4.0?

It's a minor nuisance, yes, but... it's nice to add a class to the
project, annotate it with @Service or @Stateless or whatever, and have
it automatically detected as a bean.  JBoss works this way :-)

This actually has some impact on the SubEtha code that Scott and I are
working on.  SubEtha plugins automatically register themselves with
the container when you drop a jar file containing them into the
server.  This makes it easy for minimally java-savvy people to write
some code, drop it in the container, and have it immediately
available.  Adding xml files complicates the matter.

Thanks,
Jeff