On May 18, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Peter Amiri wrote:

> Thank you everyone for your assistance on getting this setup. I now
> have a directory where I can drop individual config files for each
> domain and get them integrated into the resin.conf file using
> <resin:import>. The one issue I have with this is that it requires a
> restart of Resin to discover the newly added file which will kill
> everyones sessions and forces a reload of all the web apps. Not a very
> appealing feature from the customer perspective ;-)

Hmm. That's an interesting point.  Even if the directory change was
detected, Resin would force a restart because the config file affects
the <cluster>, even though you might just be adding a new host.  In
other words, it wouldn't be sophisticated enough to know that adding a
host is isolated.

> Someone told me I could setup a cluster with two Resin instances
> running on the same server so if the instances had to be restarted the
> sessions would be preserved. Does anyone know how to do this?

It would be a little more complicated because you'd also need a load
balancer.

You can use a single resin.xml file.  Each Resin server/virtual-host
would have its own <cluster>.  (A cluster for Resin is a collection of
identically-configured virtual hosts.  You can have one server in a
cluster.)  Assuming you have a single HTTP port, you'd need a load-
balance instance of Resin to forward the requests to the proper
backend Resin instance.

-- Scott