Dunno, I create it with ant just like every other warfile I've ever
made... but now that you mention it, when I examine the jar it appears
to have two copies of every classfile.  Didn't notice that before!

And thus the mystery is solved.  Wow, this one drove me nuts.

At one point I was running this war on an Appengine backend, and the
eclipse config for a GAE project puts the classes in WEB-INF/classes
(but conveniently hides this in the package explorer).  My ant
buildfile compiles the classes to a 3rd directory, then includes both
those classes and the contents of WEB-INF... you get the picture.

Resin could use a better error message for this :-)

I'm happy to be back on Resin though.

Jeff