On 17/05/2023 15:11, Ted Felix wrote:
Rosegarden tries to match up the synth names from the .rg file with the names it finds in ALSA.  If it is making a mess of things, please open a bug report with the details and I'll take a look.  It really should solidly match everything every time.  I rewrote all of that a year or two ago and thought I had nailed it.  Apparently not.

One area that might cause problems here is with external synths with multiple banks.

My Korg M3 has such and they appear as different devices within RG's Midi Device Manager.

They all have to be mapped to a single Midi port (2) on an X-Midi Interface to connect them

with the physical machine. They often come up dis/mis/connected when I load an .rg file.

I have never been sure where the source of this problem is, given that ALSA regularly

remaps devices (hw:0 etc) to different interfaces depending on how the system

presents them (so e.g. you have to be careful how you start JACKD).

However, my guess would be that it is within RG since it can identify/distinguish the

instruments and likewise the different MIDI ports regardless of how ALSA sees them (?)