> Dean.
>
> While I understand that you're trying to port software with as few changes
> as possible, I don't see why using RTLinux shared memory (not Linux shared
> memory) wouldn't give you the functionality you need.
>
>     Norm

Norm --

Thank you for the reply.

Our s/w give us on-the-fly read/write access to any parameter in any simulation on
any cpu resource.  By begin able to directly access (by parameter name) the user
space of these C or F77 customer provided applications (simulations and/or facility
control s/w), our customers do not need to make any modifications to their code
to make their data visible to the test system.  Our customers only need to focus
on the functional correctness of their code -- their code has no notion of external
processes reading or writing their data.  Our s/w can transparently "wire" their
parameters (while their code is running) to physical input and output channels, and
provide a user interface to display and manipulate this data through keyboard input
or test scripts.

The bottom line is: the customer only has to worry about the correctness of their
simulation or control code.  They do not have to write any special interface code
to our s/w, nor do they have to define "up front" what data they want to interface
with, or bind to physical i/o channels.

Our operational model is: we should never need to re-link "our stuff" when the user
changes "his stuff".

--
Dean W. Anneser
Software Engineering Fellow