On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand what you mean by "it's not allowed".  If it parses
> without an error then how can it not be allowed?  Or are you pointing
> out that the spec is inconsistent?
>
> Why would one want to do <form /> anyway?

That's exactly what I mean by a grey area, it's one of those things
that you're not supposed to do, it's "not allowed" but they allow it
to parse and pass because it's so popular and because it was so widely
used prior to HTML5 via XHTML from XML, that and it's converted to
<tag> which is perfectly valid in some circumstance. I don't quite
remember if there was intent to make it fully illegal but right now
it's a grey area in that it parses but you are not supposed to do it
because it's "not allowed" in HTML5.

TL;DR

<form /> -> <form> = valid but could lead to parse error because of
nesting issues.
<form /> is not legal in HTML5 but parsed and "passed" because of
syntactic sugar and XML.