Probably better to use labels, since we see issues change from blocker to
not and then back again, so having different templates would be cumbersome.

I agree! In general the predefined structure of templates is not guaranteed
to be preserved through the live of an issue / PR as we are used to with
the Trac ticket box. Everyone with write access can destroy it. Surely this
will demand a higher level of discipline among developers.

A broader question is, which parts of the trac interface do we want to
keep, and which parts can we dispense with? Also, where is the right place
to have this discussion?

I don’t know. Maybe a Trac ticket, since this must be clarified before we
migrate?
​