I think it's okay to not make things mandatory. For labels, I propose a
simple approach first: "Blocker" or not, "Bug" or not. (Currently, the
"Task" type isn't used much, so the major distinction is between "Defect"
and "Enhancement". Changing to "Bug" or not captures this.) I like the
current "Component" setup, and I don't know how to replicate that well with
user-generated labels: we're going to get typos and variations: "AG" or
"AlgebraicGeometry" or "algebraic-geometry" or ... But it's worth trying.