I asked this already but with a different subject heading, so people may
have missed it.

BackslashOperator is defined in "sage/misc/misc.py", and the preparser
converts "A \ b" to the appropriate Python code. The docstring for
BackslashOperator says "Implements Matlab-style backslash operator for
solving systems A \ b".

This is not used much: for matrices, matroids, and a tiny bit (at least in
the Sage library) for binary trees. Should we deprecate it?

Arguments for deprecation: the less we rely on the preparser, the better
(at least as far as easing a transition between Python and Sage, for
instance). The backslash operator is not in wide use in Sage. Currently its
implementation breaks the standard Python use of "\" as a line-continuation
marker.

Arguments against deprecation: it provides a convenient shorthand, and
people may be familiar with it from Matlab or other systems.