On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 5:04 AM Georgi Guninski <ggunin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 10:54 PM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Do you have exactly one (or at most) relation for any pair of variables?
> > Can one have i=j ?
> >
> > Or it's the notation which should be improved?
> >

> The number of relations for a pair of variables can be arbitrary.

 it's indeed easy to show that a degree-lex Groebner basis
will be very small, and only contain terns of degee at most 2.

Indeed, S-polynomials you'd get will get its cubic terms reduced.
Let us look at the pairs of variables present in your relation, and
the connected components of the graph specified by these pairs. For an
S-polynomial not to vanish, its leading terms must not be relatively
prime, and so at the 1st step you'll compute the S-polynomial of, say,
(Ax+B)(Cy+D)=ACxy+ADx+BCy+BD and (Ex+F)(Gz+H)  - i.e. have 3 variables
involved: x,y,z.
(suppose we don't have a relation with yz term)

EGz(Ax+B)(Cy+D) - ACy(Ex+F)(Gz+H)=
   EGADxz + EGBCyz + EGBDz - ACFGyz - ACEHxy - ACFHy = ayz + bx + cy +dz.
So we still get just one quadratic term (could be 0), and some more
linear terms after reductions.
(it's important that for each pair of variables in the linear term
there is a relation with a quadratic term
involving this pair).

It seems that this is basically all that's needed (probably it's
something well-known).

HTH
Dima