On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 6:57 PM Nathan Dunfield <nat...@dunfield.info>
wrote:

> On Sunday, February 18, 2024 at 12:14:58 PM UTC-6 Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>
> Reading:
> https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/developer/packaging#package-source-types
>

> The wheel you talk about is just another packaging of a source package,
> isn't it?
>

> No.
>

> Well, I might have used incorrect terminology, but our wheels are always
> "build from source" wheels.
>

> No, many pure Python wheels are simply downloaded in the their final form
> from PyPI, for example:
>
> https://github.com/sagemath/sage/tree/develop/build/pkgs/webcolors
> https://github.com/sagemath/sage/tree/develop/build/pkgs/jupyterlab

OK, I am sorry, I've hallucinated a non-existing format for distributing
Python packages.
(or perhaps I saw somewhere a package which has both a pure-Python wheel,
and platform-specific wheels
with optional  binary extensions)

Wheels are platform-specific, and this non-pure-python packages need to
have platform-specific wheels,
see  e.g.
https://pypi.org/project/matplotlib/#files