On Sunday, February 18, 2024 at 10:05:21 AM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 5:24 PM Matthias Koeppe <matthia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Sunday, February 18, 2024 at 9:07:04 AM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

2) The major improvement is that sagelib will be easier to install into an
existing venv, and that's a wish of quite a number of users. Much more
Pythonic, too.

The pip-installability of sagelib has absolutely nothing to do with this
discussion.

Of course it does, a lot. As having less deps pinning will model
installability and useability of sagelib in a "foreign" venv. At the moment
using sagelib in a foreign venv is complicated and error-prone, and
untested.

The dependencies of sagelib are declared in the template
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/src/setup.cfg.m4#L13, which
is filled with the data from the "install-requires.txt" files (such
as
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/build/pkgs/cysignals/install-requires.txt).
These files provide version ranges. They do NOT use the specific versions
pinned in the Sage distribution.

I don't think it's necessary to comment much on the idea that we should
change our production environment (unpinning the pinned versions of the
Sage distribution) to make it "model installability and usability of
sagelib" in a less controlled environment.

Testing sagelib (the sagemath-standard distribution package) in different
environments is not "complicated" -- because I've built the convenient
tooling for that. One does not have to make changes to the Sage
distribution for that.
See
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/pkgs/sagemath-standard/tox.ini#L18

for the different options. See also the developer's guide
https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/developer/packaging_sage_library#testing-the-distribution-in-virtual-environments-with-tox,

where all of this is documented.