On Friday 1 March 2024 at 19:03:35 UTC+1 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 5:58 PM 'Martin R' via sage-devel <
sage-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I don't understand - `degree` doesn't make much sense for Laurent series -
there is no way to determine the degree of a LaurentSeries and no way to
determine the degree of a LazyLaurentSeries with one minor exception -
which is when it is known that the series terminates, but that's rare.

with series (power series, or formal Laurent series) the degree is
naturally the minimal degree,
not the maximal one. (for a non-0 series; ought to be -oo for 0).

I am very much against this.  I realise that this is a convention one uses
in mathematics, but here it would be extremely confusing: in the lazy
series code we use valuation a lot, and it must mean lowest degree, but we
also use the degree of polynomials and Laurent polynomials and we must
distinguish between the two.

Martin